Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glen Ellyn footballers

Glen Ellyn footballers

Fun to keep up on all the outstanding football players from the area high schools, past and present...

The One That Got Away: Heisman Trophy Eluded Dartmouth’s Bob MacLeod in 1938
    "Here’s today’s Dartmouth College football quiz: Who’s the only Dartmouth football player to receive votes for the Heisman Trophy as the nation’s outstanding college football player? This might fall in the realm of ultimate trivia, but Bob MacLeod was hardly trivial in 1938 when the Big Green’s two-way halfback was named to 14 (that’s not a typographical error) All-America teams. With all this acclaim, finishing fourth in the Heisman voting may have been something of an afterthought for MacLeod, a 6-foot, 190-pound wingback who came to Dartmouth from Glen Ellyn, Ill., and ranks among Dartmouth’s all-time great football players."

Chris Watt has had two consecutive starts at center, talked about him quite a bit Sunday night in the game against Patriots…Collinsworth paid him a compliment on his play the previous game (maybe cause his son Austin is a domer too?) Go Chris!

Bowl bound Glenbard West football coach reflects on former player’s Sugar Bowl appearance
    "Sitting 12 rows up from the field, Glenbard West football coach Chad Hetlet got a first-hand look at former Hilltopper Tommy Schutt and his current Ohio State teammates Jan. 1 at the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans. Jeremy Cordell, the head football coach at Glenbard South for five years before recently accepting a job at Lincoln-Way Central, was the defensive coordinator at West when Schutt played in the 2009 state championship game as a sophomore. Along with Schutt, Cordell will get to watch another former player in a prominent game when Illinois State plays in the Football Championship Subdivision championship game Saturday against three-time defending champ North Dakota State. Kyle Avaloy, a 2012 Glenbard South grad, is the starting left guard for the Redbirds in his redshirt sophomore season."

Now only did Tommy Shutt get in the game, but they gave him a shout out too during the broadcast.

"Buckeyes rotate on defensive line Ohio State needed to work more guys in against Oregon's up-tempo offense, but the question was if it had the capable bodies. That was answered when Rashad Frazier and Tommy Schutt played on Oregon's second possession." — Cleveland Plain Dealer

Forum Regular - Vociferous Class
    How awesome was this past college football season and post season for local talent?! Incredible! Thanks Cliché for all of the posts.

Tommy Schutt, Ohio State win national title

"Glenbard West will forever have a tie to the winning side of the first College Football Playoff National Championship game. Tommy Schutt, a 2012 Glenbard West grad, was part of a stout defensive effort as Ohio State defeated Oregon 42-20 in the inaugural CFP title game at AT&T Stadium on Monday. The Buckeyes finished the season with a 14-1 record.

Schutt had one tackle in the game on the defensive line as the Buckeyes put the clamps on a typically high-powered Oregon offense. Schutt and his teammates on defense made their living on third down, limiting the Ducks to just two conversions on 12 attempts. OSU stopped Oregon on two fourth down attempts, including one on the Ohio State 3-yard line early in the second quarter.

For the season, Schutt, a junior defensive tackle, played in 12 games and recorded 10 total tackles, including eight solo stops. He also had a tackle for loss and a pass break-up this season."

Rams' new coordinator likely to be in-house hire — St. Louis Post-Dispatch

"As Rams coach Jeff Fisher winds down his deliberate search for a new offensive coordinator, it’s all but a certainty that the replacement for Brian Schottenheimer will be an in-house hire. That means either tight ends coach Rob Boras or quarterbacks coach Frank Cignetti. Fisher has high regard for both, but at this point Boras probably is the frontrunner.

Boras, 44, is a native of Glen Ellyn, Ill., who has spent 11 seasons in the NFL coaching tight ends with the Rams, Jacksonville, and Chicago. Among his college-coaching stops was a five-year stint at Nevada-Las Vegas from 1999-2003. He was the offensive line coach there for all five seasons, but doubled up as offensive coordinator his last three seasons there."

IS TOMMY SCHUTT READY TO MAKE THE LEAP? — Eleven Warriors
    "Every year, we seem to say [insert name here] will be hard to replace on defense. Before the 2014 season, it was Ryan Shazier and Bradley Roby. That seemed to work out OK.

In 2015, one of the toughest guys to replace will be defensive tackle Michael Bennett. The favorite to replace Bennett and play alongside Adolphus Washington on the interior is senior-to-be Tommy Schutt.

The Glen Ellyn, IL native is a fireplug at the one technique…"

Chargers' Chris Watt centers his focus (link) — The San Diego Union-Tribune

"The morning drive for Chris Watt takes 50 minutes, each way. With snow, call it 90.

The Chargers offensive lineman regularly makes the commute to an Illinois training facility. The ride, one long journey, resembles his offseason last year. Only this time, he knows where it leads.

Watt has certainty. He has direction. At this time in 2014, he had neither, a former Notre Dame guard training for his pro day, waiting to learn his NFL future. He trains today in his home state knowing not only the team for which he'll play but with a good sense of the position he'll play, too.

The Chargers enter next Tuesday's (today) start of free agency with some uncertainty on the offensive line, albeit less so after signing left tackle King Dunlap last month. They have clarity at center, thanks to Watt.

The franchise is comfortable with him as its center of the future. While the plan hasn't been communicated to him directly, Watt said, he is preparing to handle the starting role after veteran Nick Hardwick, his mentor, retired last month. Watt revels in the opportunity."

Tommy Schutt looks for big year at OSU...http://ohiostate.scout.com/story/153...to-shine?s=145

I'm still waiting for my big year. Hasn't happened yet.

Thought 2012 was your big year before you began losing weight?

Glen Ellyn footballers

Post deleted.

Chris Watt looks part as Chargers center (link) — The San Diego Union-Tribune

There is something different about Chris Watt. His quarterback can sense it.

The Chargers center has been around the team facility since early April. In that time, Philip Rivers has watched how he carries himself, a quiet confidence discernibly different from what the 24-year-old had even months ago during his rookie season.

Watt is coming into his own. Around him, the rest of the group will take shape.

Watt is the least experienced member of the Chargers' projected starting offensive line. He does not act it, having matured quickly to entrench himself as the man in the middle for San Diego, both for this year and likely well beyond. However the line is arranged in 2015, the Chargers believe they'll have an improved unit. Watt is at its core.

Rivers called his maturation "awesome to see." "I think I see it more as an older player than maybe I did (my) sixth, seventh or eighth year just because you're more aware of it," Rivers said. "Seeing a guy, even from his rookie year to his second-year offseason like this stage we're in right now, he's just got a different presence about him.

"He may not admit to it, but I can see last year, 'I'm figuring this out, watching (center NIck) Hardwick and these guys to figure it out.' Then he was playing at center and he gets injured. It's not that he didn't have confidence, but he's still figuring it out. Now you see him, and he just has a little bit of an aura about him, of 'I belong here, and I'm ready to go be the center.' "

In one year, Watt has come a long way. He joined the Chargers last May as a third-round pick from Notre Dame, a guard who'd never played center during a game in his life. He was in an ideal position to learn, both with Hardwick in his 11th season and offensive line coach Joe D'Alessandris, one of the league's most respected mentors, on staff.

Watt played some center in the preseason. The plan was for him to stay at guard in 2014, but the Chargers became the first team since the 1970 NFL-AFL merger to start five different centers in the same season. He was one of them, making five starts before a Week 16 ankle injury ended his season.

Back home, he trained in Lake Forest, Ill. He worked with former NFL linemen Olin Kreutz, James "Big Cat" Williams and Roberto Garza. The group has a combined 40 years of NFL experience, 35 of which was spent with the Chicago Bears. Watt grew up in Illinois, his hometown of Glen Ellyn about 25 miles west of Chicago. "Olin has his own personal gym," said Watt, who added bulk and upper-body strength. "It's a pretty impressive (facility). ... Those are guys I watched growing up; I saw them in training camp. They bring a lot of knowledge, not just football but with lifting and taking care of your body. It was good information to get, and they're fun to work with."

What the Chargers' line looks like in 2015 remains to be seen. Tackle King Dunlap and guard Orlando Franklin seem cemented on the left side.

On the right, there are options with guard Johnnie Troutman and tackle D.J. Fluker returning. As of right now, Joe Barskdale, a recent signing, projects as depth as a No. 3 tackle, but he and guard Jeremiah Sirles, a second-year player, figure to be among those who push for reps in training camp. Reserve center Trevor Robinson is among the others who round out the group.

The Chargers had unprecedented instability at center last year. From it, Watt gained experience he'll carry into his second season. It should serve him and the team well.

"At this time last year, this was my third week here," Watt said. "I'm more comfortable being in the city, around my teammates. You don't want to be too comfortable. This is only my second year; I haven't done anything yet. ... But I'm definitely more comfortable with the offense."

Rivers can tell.

Glenbard West running back Sam Brodner added an offer from Vanderbilt on Tuesday evening. (link) — 247 Sports

"It’s a big one," Brodner said. "I’ve been talking to them a bit lately."

Brodner is set to visit next week.

"Two of my friends actually play there right now, and they’ve told me it’s a fun time walking in and it’s an elite education which really excites me."

Bowling Green, Illinois, Nevada and Wyoming have also offered the under-the-radar Brodner, who ran a 4.49 laser-time 40-yard dash at the recent Nike Football The Opening Regional in Chicago, en route to a score of 122.19, third-highest at a talented camp.

"I like all the schools that have offered me," Brodner said. Several others are showing personal interest. "I liked Wisconsin when I visited and I liked Penn State when I visited over spring break. I'm keeping my options open. Anything can happen."

Brodner will attend Penn State's satellite camp in the Chicago area on June 15.

"I’m probably going to schedule some more visits," he said.

Weekly Recruiting Update - A Look at the Offers and Visits of the Week — Anchor of Gold

Sam Brodner- Brodner is an intriguing recruit from Glenbard West High School in Glen Ellyn, IL. He currently plays both running back and linebacker, and he was extremely excited about his Vanderbilt offer. According to 247Sports, Brodner is planning on a NashVegas trip on June 10th for an unofficial visit. Brodner has great vision which he uses to evade defenses on offense and get to the ball carrier on defense. He has the speed to separate himself from both blockers and defensive backs. Brodner's other offers include Bowling Green, Illinois, and Nevada along with interest from Wisconsin as well. Check out his versatility by watching his highlights here.