Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Changes at the Village Links

Quote Originally Posted by NormS View Post
    Instead, it sounds like Glen Ellyn is about to spend good money to reward bad execution.
    Yes . . . this part. Are we talking about the generator. Otherwise, yeah, I agree.

Forum Regular
    For golfers, maybe we should have periodic updates on the condition of our golf course and the food service operation at this facility.

The VL always wins due to location, and resident pricing for golfers.

As an avid golfer, I would pay full price to golf there one time, then never again as it is kept up like a $35/round course not a $75 course (including cart). The deterioration in the overall course conditions has been slow, but noticeable over the years. Residents don't seem to care because it is SO convenient and reasonable for us. The beverage service stinks! While the patio is awesome, I was there over the beautiful weekend and while there was a nice crowd outside, no waitress, just a bartender during her best to wait tables when she could. After waiting 15-20 minutes, I finally went to the bar. The outdoor bartender had to go inside to get my bourbon order as the outside bar is not able to be stocked (very little shelf space). Who design's a bar with zero shelf space?

My course condition grade for 4/17 was well below average (not just because of aerated greens), but very little sand in bunkers, greens super spongy and full of ball marks. The diving range grass was also worse than most people yards and the practice range looked like it hadn't been worked on at all. The Village Links was once a top 10 IL public golf course, now it'd be lucky to be in the top 25 and for the money one of the worst "values" in golf for non-residents.

Forum Regular
    Course conditions improving, except the greens are still horrific. They aerated earlier in Spring which is unusual, so hopefully it will pay off later in the year.
    Brought out a non - resident friend last Saturday on the 9 hole course - $37 including cart for him was extortion. $30 for felt as bad, especially at 4:00 which is usually a twilight time.

Chef leaving- great opportunity to fix many errors in restaurant as he was running the show. $19-22 entrees gotta go, this is a not a Four Seasons type place.

I wish I could find the letter I sent to them about their food and service a couple of years back. Haven't really been welcome there since. Was just trying to help!

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Clamato View Post
    I wish I could find the letter I sent to them about their food and service a couple of years back. Haven't really been welcome there since. Was just trying to help!
    Lots of turnover, those people are probably long gone.

Forum Regular
    Terrific new golf carts with GPS (finally)! Huge improvement as they are now comparable to most courses with these.
    Spring weather has helped grass grow better on greens, but they are still a little bumpy and slower to their comparables. On chilly day today, no coffee, hot dogs or brats available at the halfway house this afternoon.
    It was very cool to see young kids playing in an IL JR PGA event tonight at VL.