PDA

View Full Version : Hetlet's 2014 Hitters

Cliché
10-06-2014, 11:47 AM
Not sure why there hasn't been a single post about the Hitter's quest for yet another conference title in football. Let me correct that.

Hilltoppers had their biggest win of the season with Saturday's decisive 28-14 West Suburban Silver victory over previously unbeaten Oak Park River Forest in Glen Ellyn.

The win was coach Chad Hetlet's 100th victory. Congratulations to Coach Hetlet.

Hilltoppers are 6-0, winning for the 40th time in 41 West Suburban Silver conference games.

This season they have outscored opponents 199-45.

Junior Sam Brodner has 11TDs and is averaging over 125 yards rushing per game.

Grateful
10-06-2014, 01:54 PM
Not sure why there hasn't been a single post about the Hitter's quest for yet another conference title in football. Let me correct that.

Hilltoppers had their biggest win of the season with Saturday's decisive 28-14 West Suburban Silver victory over previously unbeaten Oak Park River Forest in Glen Ellyn.

The win was coach Chad Hetlet's 100th victory. Congratulations to Coach Hetlet.

Hilltoppers are 6-0, winning for the 40th time in 41 West Suburban Silver conference games.

This season they have outscored opponents 199-45.

Junior Sam Brodner has 11TDs and is averaging over 125 yards rushing per game.

Great program, Brodner's a beast! Coach Hetlet deserves a ton of credit.

I've never been impressed with the enthusiasm for the football program based on the attendance at games (you can get a 50 yard line seat at game time every week). Thanks for letting me show up at game time every Sat. and get that.

I think maybe too many conflicts with kids sports on Saturday afternoons.

Wishing for Friday night lights and the only place to be is the HS football stadium on a Friday night.

Downtown GE would get a business jump before and after games. Won't happen in my lifetime.

Go Hilltoppers!

Glenly Ellynby
10-06-2014, 02:08 PM
Wishing for Friday night lights and the only place to be is the HS football stadium on a Friday night.

Downtown GE would get a business jump before and after games. Won't happen in my lifetime.

Go Hilltoppers!

Is the issue that the water table is too high to install the lights and footings? Or NIMBY-ism from surrounding homeowners?

I agree that Friday Night games would be easier to attend for a lot of people. I wanted to go to the OPRF game on Saturday, but we had a kid's birthday party and Saturday sports. Saturdays are always tough.

Cliché
10-06-2014, 02:17 PM
Is the issue that the water table is too high to install the lights and footings? Or NIMBY-ism from surrounding homeowners?

I agree that Friday Night games would be easier to attend for a lot of people. I wanted to go to the OPRF game on Saturday, but we had a kid's birthday party and Saturday sports. Saturdays are always tough.

That field is designated a flood plain, it used to be part of the lake. That said, not sure if that is the reason they don't have lights, someone with knowledge will help...

happydad
10-06-2014, 03:47 PM
Gorgeous fall colors surrounding Lake Ellyn during those Saturday afternoon games. Best place to play, even if a bit muddy. Just say "no" to lights and turf at Duchon Field. Grateful that we have such a fantastic school and place to play.

Glenly Ellynby
10-06-2014, 04:12 PM
Just say "no" to lights and turf at Duchon Field.

You say "no" to everything. I'm beginning to think you should change your screen name, as you don't seem happy at all. ;)

Perplexed
10-06-2014, 04:29 PM
I'm definitely in the no turf camp due to the flood issues, but I'd love to freeze my ________ off on Friday night watching a GBW game!

Clamato
10-06-2014, 04:37 PM
Been observing these games for the twenty years that we have lived within a pitching wedge from Duchon. With the exception of crappy weather, the games are well attended. Had it been twenty degrees warmer Saturday, you wouldn't have gotten anywhere near the stadium, let alone a seat in the 50. My time in GE is nearing an end so I don't care if they put lights and turf on that field from a lifestyle standpoint, but it is the wrong thing to do for many reasons (and certainly not until they get that lake fixed). You'll not find a better set up in the Midwest.

Oh yeah, congrats to Chad.

jombl
10-06-2014, 04:52 PM
You'll not find a better set up in the Midwest.

http://vd.hudl.com/1393/3438/141686/1951645/LF/018/BvnX_XL.jpg

I wonder what our home field advantage calcs out at... It's a jewel, if one thinks they can improve that by changing anything ...

http://dailytrackpic.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/gwhs.jpg

Glenly Ellynby
10-06-2014, 04:54 PM
I will never understand why stadium lights are such a polarizing issue in so many communities. Oak Park & River Forest High School had a huge controversy over theirs a few years back, with the primary argument coming from NIMBY's who were worried about lights shining in to their homes. As a kid who grew up with the local high school football field literally behind my house, I can tell you that these lights are NOT A BIG DEAL in terms of their impact on surrounding residences. Now the tradition thing... I mean, if Wrigley Field can do it...

Glenly Ellynby
10-06-2014, 05:00 PM
It's a jewel, if one thinks they can improve that by changing anything

Imagine how beautiful it would be on a crisp fall Friday night with the reflection of a few 1000w ceramic metal halide lamps twinkling in the water.

Perplexed
10-06-2014, 05:04 PM
Been observing these games for the twenty years that we have lived within a pitching wedge from Duchon.

You can hit a golf ball that far?

Clamato
10-06-2014, 05:33 PM
These lights are so dialed in that you could stand 100 feet off the field and not be affected by them. That really isn't the point, is it?

The new Superintendent summed it up this way, and I may be paraphrasing, if Glenbard West had $3.0MM to put towards a football field, he would use it on facility improvements instead.

GE Fan
10-06-2014, 06:44 PM
Hetlet, despite the fact that he hates me, is a stud.

I want him to be the next coach at Illinois....because we suck.

Fish
10-07-2014, 09:50 AM
Hetlet, despite the fact that he hates me, is a stud.

I want him to be the next coach at Illinois....because we suck.

Charlie Weiss is available.

NEBF
10-07-2014, 11:09 AM
It's a jewel, if one thinks they can improve that by changing anything ...

The chain link fence looks pretty shoddy. Can't we pass the hat for something ornamental?

Glenly Ellynby
10-07-2014, 11:29 AM
Hetlet, despite the fact that he hates me...

Why, does he live over by that Montessori school?

middlein87
10-07-2014, 10:08 PM
The chain link fence looks pretty shoddy. Can't we pass the hat for something ornamental?

Like black chain link fence. Only the finest properties in GE have it.

Cliché
10-18-2014, 05:06 PM
Glenbard West goes to 8-0 for homecoming, beating previously undefeated Addison Trail 33-15, with 4 TDs from Sam Brodner who rushed for 185 yards on 28 carries

Brodner helps Glenbard West best Addison Trail (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/highschool/ct-spt-1019-prep-football-addison-trail-glenbard-w-20141018-story.html)

Cliché
10-24-2014, 08:52 AM
Congratulations to Sam Brodner Glen Ellyn Bank & Trust Athlete of the Week (http://www.mysuburbanlife.com/2014/10/20/glen-ellyn-bank-trust-athlete-of-the-week-sam-brodner/a61w5xv/)

A win tonight marks another undefeated regular season, as West closes out the regular season at York, tonight @ 7:30pm. Go Hitters.

Playoff pairings come out Saturday afternoon…and it's complicated.

"Though No. 2 Glenbard West would be in Class 7A if the playoffs began this weekend, the latest projection from the state's resident bracketologist, Steve Soucie of the Kankakee Daily Journal, has the Hilltoppers in Class 8A. From a competition standpoint, the difference between the two largest classes has become increasingly blurred. No. 1 Stevenson, No. 3 Loyola, No. 5 Maine South and No. 9 Naperville Central, the defending 8A champ, are currently in 8A. Glenbard West, No. 4 Cary-Grove, No. 7 Providence and No. 8 Lincoln-Way East are in 7A.

If Glenbard West lands in Class 8A, the 8A North bracket will be the ignition for the annual outcry over the regional nature of the IHSA brackets. Because teams are seeded by region rather than 1-32, the Class 8A quarterfinals could include a pair of heavyweight showdowns — Loyola-Stevenson and Glenbard West-Maine South. While many fans and football coaches prefer a 1-32 system, the IHSA favors regional representation and school administrators have not shown an interest in change."

Rob Herbold
10-24-2014, 09:10 AM
By my (Meaning my Bro-In-Law's) calculations, GBW will be the largest 7A school -but will stay in 7A.

There are two games to watch though that could change that picture. There are two big schools that are on the bubble and should they lose, GBW could move up to 8A:

1) Wheaton North vs Lake Park – Lake Park has 5 wins and 31 playoff points. If 3-5 WN pulls the upset, Lake Park would be out and a smaller school would replace them.
2) LT vs. Proviso West – LT should win and be 5-4 with 40 points. However, if they lose they are out – and again a smaller school will move up.

The rest of the field in 8A is pretty solid – so I think it will just be these two games that can impact a change.

Maine South looks like they will be the smallest 8A school. The only way that changes is if (4 win teams) York, Minooka or Notre Dame pull an upset over teams with good records, AND Lake Park and LT win as well.

One interesting fact worth noting – if Hetlet cared (and I certainly do not believe he does), a loss to York would almost guarantee a 7A classification as that would add another larger 5 win school to the mix.

Fun stuff – we’ll see how it plays out.

Cliché
10-24-2014, 11:56 PM
Congratulations to the Hitters on their undefeated regular season. Dominating game tonight, up 14-0 after 1 minute 48 seconds, York NEVER had a chance. Final, 48-7.

3rd down, let's get loud got really, really old. That said, trustee sighting in a loud green Hilltoppers jacket.

Playoff pairing tomorrow afternoon.

Clamato
10-25-2014, 07:29 AM
That announcer though. Yug, Had to move away from that speaker after the first quarter.

First play from scrimmage couldn't even quiet that guy down. Hand off the "Brodener" and he scampers 80 yards for a TD.

Not certain what it is about Elmhurst, but one of our players seems to get ejected every visit. Whomever got booted last night was in good company as I recall Chris Watt getting the same treatment in 2010, IIRC.

I think an 8A placement in the south would be a march to Champaign to meet Steveson. But . . . anything can happen and you actually have to play the games.

Cliché
10-25-2014, 09:04 AM
That announcer though. Yug, Had to move away from that speaker after the first quarter.

First play from scrimmage couldn't even quiet that guy down. Hand off the "Brodener" and he scampers 80 yards for a TD.

Not certain what it is about Elmhurst, but one of our players seems to get ejected every visit. Whomever got booted last night was in good company as I recall Chris Watt getting the same treatment in 2010, IIRC.

I think an 8A placement in the south would be a march to Champaign to meet Steveson. But . . . anything can happen and you actually have to play the games.

The announcer was bad, and the refs were bad. No sense of urgency, the game started over a half hour late with our team on the fieid and the officials clueless on how to get the other team out there. Then from the ejection on (#8 I think) the 4:34 took about 45 minutes to play. Then they forgot to start the halftime clock, so halftime was 8 minutes longer…which was OK because many of the Hitter adults filled Doc Ryans.

FYI, no march to Champaign this year, it's a jaunt to DeKalb. Go Hitters, thanks for another outstanding regular season.

Glenbard West continued its complete football domination over the West Suburban Silver with a 48-7 victory at York. (http://football.dailyherald.com/article/20141024/sports/141028771/)

Cliché
10-25-2014, 10:28 AM
I follow West, but congratulations as well to the outstanding season Glenbard South put together, ending the regular season in dramatic fashion. Good luck in playoffs.

Glenbard South pulls out victory in final seconds (http://football.dailyherald.com/article/20141024/sports/141028799/)

Clamato
10-25-2014, 04:14 PM
FYI, no march to Champaign this year, it's a jaunt to DeKalb. Go Hitters, thanks for another outstanding regular season.

The IHSA changed the locations last year. Even years, Champaign. Odd years, DeKalb. Would be disappointing seeing in Huskie Stadium all alone . . . cold, unhappy. Ugly thought.

Cliché
10-25-2014, 04:58 PM
The IHSA changed the locations last year. Even years, Champaign. Odd years, DeKalb. Would be disappointing seeing in Huskie Stadium all alone . . . cold, unhappy. Ugly thought.

all alone . . . cold, unhappy, wouldn't be the first time :(

Some guy in Doc Ryans last night was gushing on about how it will be great to go to Northern for the playoffs this year, I assumed (wrongly). November 29th in Champaign sounds like a plan.

Cliché
10-26-2014, 09:43 AM
West in 8A bracket, and it's a mess with early match ups that will eliminate great teams prematurely. No matchup of the #1 and #2 teams in Champaign, as in their infinite stupidity, the IHSA puts West in the same Quarterfinal bracket as Stevenson.

Fremd comes to West for first round.

8A bracket IHSA site
(http://www.ihsa.org/SportsActivities/BoysFootball/StateSeriesInformationResults.aspx?url=/data/fb/8bracket.htm)

Scouting the Class 8A playoffs (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ct-spt-1026-prep-football-8a-playoff-pairings-brac-20141025-story.html) Chicago Tribune

"Best first-round game: Brother Rice-Naperville Central. These might be the best two teams in the lower half of the bracket, but we'll never know because they're matched up in the first round.

Toughest road to Champaign: No. 1 Stevenson and No. 8 Loyola will not both reach the quarterfinal because they are set up to meet in a heavyweight second-round showdown. The winner will likely play New Trier in a quarterfinal and either Glenbard West, Maine South or Oak Park to reach the championship game.

Difference-maker: Sam Brodner, Glenbard West

FYI: Glenbard West is in 8A for the first time. The "Hitters" are 19-6 in the 7A playoffs since Chad Hetlet became head coach in 2007. They won the title in 2012 and finished second in 2009."

Go Hitters, end the season with a bell ringing on the "Hill."

Cliché
10-27-2014, 06:42 PM
First round of 8A IHSA Boys football playoffs this Saturday, 1:00pm, Duchon Field — #15 Palatine (Fremd) (6-3) at #2 Glen Ellyn (Glenbard West) (9-0)

Yossarian
10-27-2014, 07:04 PM
Fan-who you going to root for?

GE Fan
10-28-2014, 08:58 AM
Fan-who you going to root for?

Hitters FTW!

Cliché
10-28-2014, 08:20 PM
Freakin' Glenbard North and Naperville North...

Look to the West: (http://football.dailyherald.com/article/20141028/sports/141028210/) Daily Herald

"No shift in the brackets created more of a stir than Glenbard West's bump up to Class 8A from its traditional place in 7A. After seven straight years in 7A, this marks the Hilltoppers' first appearance in 8A.

Other than Benet, also making its first 8A appearance, Glenbard West is the smallest school in the 8A field.

That one move transfers the balance of power from 7A to 8A. A look at the northern bracket of 8A shows the immense impact a single team can make.

All three unbeaten teams in 8A – Glenbard West, Maine South and Stevenson – are in the northern 16-team bracket. That's in addition to Loyola and Oak Park, two teams that spent the bulk of the season in the state rankings.

Among the factors causing the shift was the disappointing season in the DuPage Valley Conference. Glenbard North and Naperville North, in particular, have been mainstays in the 8A bracket. Their absence helped push up Glenbard West.

How will the move affect the Hilltoppers' run at a third championship? Time will tell as Glenbard West faces a minefield littered with some of the state's top teams."

4MP
10-29-2014, 03:24 PM
Interesting, to me at least, is that Glen Ellynites, former Glen Ellyn Golden Eagles are playing for:

Glenbard West - undefeated conference champs
Glenbard South - conference champs
St. Francis - conference champs
Montini - playoffs
Benet - playoffs
Fenwick - playoffs

There may be more.

The mind boggles if the Eagles alums all played for one team in high school. Then again, I guess the same could be said for the Wheaton Rams, Naperville teams, etc. (Although they are much bigger towns...) Good luck to all the teams with GE players this weekend!

DTM
10-29-2014, 03:44 PM
Plus they do this all without a footballic center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cliché
10-29-2014, 05:00 PM
Interesting, to me at least, is that Glen Ellynites, former Glen Ellyn Golden Eagles are playing for:

Glenbard West - undefeated conference champs
Glenbard South - conference champs
St. Francis - conference champs
Montini - playoffs
Benet - playoffs
Fenwick - playoffs

There may be more.

The mind boggles if the Eagles alums all played for one team in high school. Then again, I guess the same could be said for the Wheaton Rams, Naperville teams, etc. (Although they are much bigger towns...) Good luck to all the teams with GE players this weekend!

Add to that that currently you have Glen Ellynites playing college ball for Nebraska, Kansas, Univ. of Nevada, Vanderbilt, Yale, Duke, Illinois and Ohio State, and pro ball for the San Diego Chargers.

Cliché
10-30-2014, 08:34 AM
Classified information: What shifts in football classification means to playoffs (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/highschool/ct-spt-1031-prep-football-playoff-breakdown-20141030-story.html) Chicago Tribune

"The last thing the north half of the Class 8A bracket needed was another bully. As if No. 1 Stevenson, No. 4 Maine South and No. 8 Loyola were not intimidation enough, here comes perennial 7A power Glenbard West.

The Tribune's No. 2-ranked team, the "Hitters" have averaged nearly 12 victories a season since 2008 while dominating 8A competition in the West Suburban Conference.

Glenbard West has managed to make its presence felt even before suiting up for a Class 8A playoff game for the first time.

Glenbard West's addition to an already-loaded bracket and Loyola's two losses in the rugged Catholic League Blue have conspired to set up a potential second-round game between Loyola and Stevenson.

"Loyola and Stevenson in the second round?" Glenbard West coach Chad Hetlet said. "That is ridiculous." (IHSA are bozos, yep!)

Glenbard West's move from 7A to 8A has created the appearance of bracket imbalance in both classes and possibly even shifted the balance of power back to the largest class.

"It is different waters, different teams, and we are excited about it," Hetlet said. "It is obviously a step up in competition, but I think in a given year you can have more top teams in 7A. It swings year to year."

Glenly Ellynby
10-30-2014, 08:45 AM
I think the whole 8 division (or class) thing is a bit ridiculous. There should be three or four max.

Clamato
11-01-2014, 11:37 AM
Wow, Stevenson barely got by LT last night. And anyone looking for to a GW/OPRF redux, ain't gonna happen.

Weather is bad. Hope the Hitter faithful bundle up and appear today. Figuratively speaking, West really does have fair weather fans and this isn't going to be fair weather.

Cliché
11-01-2014, 03:45 PM
Glenbard West wins 34-14 over Fremd. Dominating performance. Small crowd, shame. Go West.

homegrown
11-01-2014, 05:00 PM
Small crowd, shame. Go West.

Glad the Hitters won--but there were many other activities competing for kids/supporters time:
Girls and Boys XC had sectionals (both are going to state!), 2 Forensics tourneys, the Fall musical had practice....you get the drift.

So I don't think it is a lack of spirit, as we have had some great crowds this fall.

Cliché
11-01-2014, 06:47 PM
Brodner carries Glenbard West past Fremd (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/highschool/ct-spt-1102-prep-football-8a-fremd-glenbard-west-20141101-story.html) Chicago Tribune

"Glenbard West's first game in the highest class of the state playoffs felt worthy of a special performance.

Enter Sam Brodner.

The Glenbard West junior running back scored on a career-high 90-yard run in the fourth quarter to put the exclamation point on a 34-14 victory against Fremd in the first round of the Class 8A playoffs Saturday."

Glenbard West wins faceoff with Fremd (http://football.dailyherald.com/article/20141101/sports/141109839/) Daily Herald

"Considering Glenbard West has two regular-season football defeats in the last seven years, the Hilltoppers' first game in Class 8A playoff action was not nearly as novel as might have been.

Cliché
11-03-2014, 02:37 PM
No. 2 Glenbard West (10-0) at No. 10 Palatine (8-2), Saturday, November 8th, 2 p.m.

Glenly Ellynby
11-03-2014, 02:39 PM
No. 2 Glenbard West (10-0) at No. 10 Palatine (8-2), Saturday, November 8th, 2 p.m.

How do we end up getting two schools from Palatine two weeks in a row? The IHSA is just weird sometimes.

Go Hitters!

Grateful
11-04-2014, 09:53 AM
Be happy, two inferior teams in a row and the best news is getting Maine South at home the following week.
Couldn't have worked out better for Hitters.

Clamato
11-08-2014, 04:06 PM
After a slow first quarter and being down 7-0, Sam Brodner ran for approximately 32 touchdowns and West is throttling Palatine by a score of something like 224-7. I think that's right.

Regardless, Barrington HS up next.

Cliché
11-08-2014, 05:18 PM
Nice assessment, that's how it felt for sure. 41-7 final (what's with the missed extra point at the end?). Great size crowd, well done, think we equaled the opposing side.

Brodner…4 TDs maybe 5, none of us could remember the first one. Three drives in a row he had TD runs…not only out running them, but straight-arms, jukes…amazing performance, can't wait to see his yardage.

Great game Hitters!

GE Fan
11-08-2014, 07:17 PM
Glenbard West is just destroying my old neighborhood. Now Barrington? This is almost becoming personally offensive.

Hitters FTW!

Cliché
11-08-2014, 10:17 PM
Give the ball to Sam Brodner (http://football.dailyherald.com/article/20141108/sports/141108460/) Daily Herald

"Brodner scored 5 touchdowns, each one coming behind Leahy, while rushing for a career-best 308 yards as Glenbard West rolled over Palatine 41-7.

Glenbard West (11-0), which beat Palatine's crosstown rival Fremd last week, will get its third MSL West opponent in a row next week. The Hilltoppers will host Barrington, a 21-7 winner over Maine South next Saturday in the quarterfinals.

Once he was in the open field, Brodner did his thing, with touchdown runs of 4, 22, 69, 38 and 93 yards.

"We don't have a name for the play," Hetlet said. "We just call it ‘Give the ball to Sam Brodner.'"

Brodner's big day pushes Glenbard West (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/highschool/ct-spt-1109-prep-football-glenbard-west-palatine-20141108-story.html) Chicago Tribune

Grateful
11-09-2014, 12:45 PM
After a slow first quarter and being down 7-0, Sam Brodner ran for approximately 32 touchdowns and West is throttling Palatine by a score of something like 224-7. I think that's right.

Regardless, Barrington HS up next.

Can anyone stop Sam Brodner??? Me think not.

Carl Henninger
11-10-2014, 01:17 PM
Killed me to have to miss last Saturday's game (I was in Norman with my brother, brother-in-law and nephew (an OU student) watching Oklahoma get killed by Baylor). I think that GW will complete its march through the Mid-Suburban League West by beating Barrington on Saturday. The good news, looking ahead, is that if GW plays #1 seed Stevenson in the semi's, it will be at GW. I'm feeling optimistic that I'll be spending Saturday Nov. 29 in Champaign.

Cliché
11-12-2014, 05:14 PM
Yet another MSL foe for Glenbard West (http://football.dailyherald.com/article/20141112/sports/141119412/)

"By the end of this weekend, Glenbard West's football team might consider itself an unofficial member of the Mid-Suburban League. For the third straight week — and for the fifth time in the last two postseasons — the Hilltoppers are faced with a playoff game against a different MSL qualifier. In Saturday's Class 8A quarterfinals, Glenbard West (11-0) gets a visit from Barrington (10-1).

Barrington's only loss was to the team West just destroyed 41-7, Palatine. Go Hitters!

Clamato
11-12-2014, 05:44 PM
Pretty sure this is right, if West wins and Stevenson wins, the semi-final will be at GW as Stevenson is playing their third straight game at home Saturday and will have to hit the road. If West wins and New Trier wins, the game will be at GW as both teams will have had two home games and one on the road and GW is the higher seed. If West loses and Barrington wins, I don't really give a **** where anyone plays after that.

happydad
11-12-2014, 06:02 PM
Good insight Clam. Rally some troops for the parade on the hill as I will be out of town and need to miss this one!

DTM
11-12-2014, 06:07 PM
Determining the Host Team and the Date and Time of the Game

In the first round, the higher seed hosts the game. In subsequent rounds, the school that has hosted fewer times during the current playoff series hosts the game.

If both teams have hosted an equal number of times:

In the second round, the quarterfinal round, and in any semifinal where the bracket was paired 1 through 16, the higher seed hosts.
In a semifinal game where the bracket was paired in two groups of eight, the team with the highest seeding criteria at the end of the regular season (wins, opponents' wins, etc., as listed above) is the host. If all these criteria are equal, the team on the top of the bracket is the host.

http://ihsa.org/data/fb/playoffs.htm

Clamato
11-12-2014, 09:54 PM
So it looks like I was accurate. Go West.

Perplexed
11-12-2014, 11:02 PM
So it looks like I was accurate.
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/12/0b938c7bda4c9774d22b50b2c44c74ad.jpg

Cliché
11-13-2014, 09:19 AM
Scouting report: Barrington has need for speed (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/highschool/ct-spt-1114-prep-football-feature-2-barrington-20141113-story.html)

"One of the main factors in Barrington's shift to a spread offense was the influx of speedy players coming through the program. Miller, who had an 87-yard kickoff return for a touchdown against Maine South, runs a 4.4 40. Pfeiffer and cornerback Terry McGovern both have been clocked at 4.5."

While it is hard to pick out flaws in the last performance against Palatine, the squib kicks were really frustrating to spectators, handing the Pirates the ball at the 40 again and again and again. Wondering if Barrington's speed will be met with the same squibs and the ball at the 40 throughout the game? If speed is a concern, why not kick long and aim for the sidelines, put it out of bounds and place it at the 35? Net 5. Go Hitters!

DTM
11-13-2014, 12:02 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/12/0b938c7bda4c9774d22b50b2c44c74ad.jpg

I nominate this post for 2014 Post of the Year.

GE Fan
11-13-2014, 01:07 PM
I nominate this post for 2014 Post of the Year.

Nomination rejected.

DTM
11-13-2014, 04:13 PM
Who put you on the nominating committee?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cliché
11-15-2014, 04:46 PM
Glenbard West overcame a 21-7 deficit in the second half to prevail over a very good Barrington team and an abundance of penalties, winning 28-21. Amazing victory. Stevenson next, go Hitters!

Carl Henninger
11-15-2014, 05:18 PM
I was concerned when gw did not score on the first possession of the second half. But after that total domination. Way to go Hitters.

Cliché
11-15-2014, 05:36 PM
Glenbard West finishes job against Barrington (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/highschool/ct-spt-1116-prep-football-barrington-glenbard-west-20141115-story.html) Chicago Tribune
"Slow starts have been commonplace for Glenbard West, but this one felt different. Outplayed in all three phases of the game, the No. 2 Hilltoppers found themselves in a 14-point hole at halftime against a Barrington team coming off dominant victories over a pair of good teams.

The final 24 minutes were vintage "Hitters" football, with Sam Brodner breaking a pair of long touchdown runs, the kickoff coverage team recovering a key fumble and the defense shutting out Barrington in a 28-21 Class 8A quarterfinal victory Saturday afternoon in Glen Ellyn."

Glenbard West comes from behind to reach Class 8A semis (http://www.mysuburbanlife.com/2014/11/15/glenbard-west-comes-from-behind-to-reach-class-8a-semis/aajhmyx/) SuburbanLife
"Glenbard West hadn't faced many deficits in rolling to an 11-0 record this fall and especially not to a team as talented as Barrington.

But the Hilltoppers found a way to overcome a 21-7 halftime margin on Saturday, running off 21 unanswered points over the final two quarters to prevail 28-21 in a Class 8A quarterfinal Saturday."

Glenbard West makes its move (http://football.dailyherald.com/article/20141115/sports/141118826/) Daily Herald
"You'd be hard-pressed to find a football team in more dire need of halftime than Glenbard West. Sure enough, the Hilltoppers responded with a season-saving final two quarters."

Cliché
11-17-2014, 08:40 AM
Glenbard West will host Stevenson in a Class 8A Semifinal at Duchon Field at 1:00pm Saturday, November 22.

An amazing stat to chew on this week as the Hitters prepare for the semifinal game.

In the past 7 seasons, West's record is 82-7.

Of those 7 losses...
only 2 were in regular season,
and 5 were in the playoffs, 3 in the semifinals and 1 in the final.

Go Hitters!

Cliché
11-17-2014, 08:49 AM
I hear that Sam's picture is a whole page in the print edition today...

Sam Brodner, Glenbard West battle back to best Barrington (http://highschoolcubenews.com/2014/11/15/sam-brodner-glenbard-west-battle-back-best-barrington/) Sun-Times
"Barrington played a virtually perfect game for most of three quarters in establishing a two-touchdown advantage over favored and undefeated Glenbard West. One play changed everything.

Glenbard West star running back Sam Brodner broke around the right sideline for a 41-yard touchdown. Barrington immediately saw its lead slip away. “Athletics and momentum are funny,” Barrington coach Joe Sanchez said. “They got it there and we couldn’t get it back.”

Cliché
11-17-2014, 07:40 PM
Stevenson Takes Out New Trier, Looks Toward War Against Glenbard West (http://www.journal-topics.com/sports/article_c18d4ab2-6ea0-11e4-8d10-736b14e18175.html)
War? Really?
"Glenbard West averages 36 points a game (432 points), but Stevenson is more of a defensive team and has only allowed 132 points over 12 games (11 points per game) to go along with 3 shutouts. Stevenson’s offense has done well scoring 377 points, but the Hilltopper defense is pretty stout allowing just 119 points all season. One team will earn a win and trip to the state title game and another will suffer their first loss and end to the season."

And at the MaxPreps site (http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/stevenson-patriots-(lincolnshire,il)/football/schedule.htm), looks like Simeon and Glenbard West have already lost! The "Go-To" site shows Stevenson playing Homewood-Flossmoor at 4:00pm on November 29th. They know something we don't? (They've corrected it at 6:45pm 11.18)

Clamato
11-18-2014, 06:20 AM
That's weird. Weather looks warm(er) for Saturday.

Cliché
11-19-2014, 08:41 AM
And then there were three (Glenbard West, Montini and St. Francis head to the state semifinals) (http://football.dailyherald.com/article/20141118/sports/141118290/) Daily Herald
"What can you say about Glenbard West's playoff success since Chad Hetlet took over the program in 2007? His teams have won a playoff game in each of his eight seasons, and for the fifth time in seven years the Hilltoppers are in the semifinals. It'll be a battle of unbeatens…"

Cliché
11-20-2014, 08:27 AM
Sun-Times Athlete of the Week: Glenbard West’s Sam Brodner (http://highschoolcubenews.com/2014/11/19/sun-times-player-week-glenbard-wests-sam-brodner/) Sun-Times
"Sam Brodner personifies the running back position. He is a classic hybrid who mixes power, speed and toughness. At 5-11 and 215 pounds, the Glenbard West junior has certainly burned his name into the consciousness of the Mid-Suburban League. In three Class 8A state playoff games, each coming against programs from the MSL, Brodner has rushed for nearly 700 yards and scored nine touchdowns in helping the Hilltoppers advance to the state semifinals."

Cliché
11-21-2014, 09:27 AM
GO HITTERS!

IFCA announces 2014 all-state football teams (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/highschool/chi-ifca-2014-all-state-football-teams-20141120-story.html#page=1) Chicago Tribune
Congratulations to Sam Brodner and Declan Ryan on All-State honors.

Scouting this weekend's DuPage County playoff football games (http://football.dailyherald.com/article/20141120/sports/141129694/) Daily Herald
"Intangibles: Glenbard West loves home cooking, and the Hilltoppers have gotten a steady diet this season. Saturday marks their ninth home game of the year. While most teams, like Stevenson, are accustomed to artificial surfaces, Glenbard West makes a living on grass. Duchon Field has been rock hard late in the season, but it has held up well. If it thaws and then the rain comes, it could be quite messy. Does that play to Glenbard West's advantage? While it wouldn't hurt to try slowing down Stevenson's immense speed, Glenbard West relies on speedy athletes on both sides of the ball. A muddy field likely would hurt both teams, although the Hilltoppers' ground game fits in with muddy field conditions much better than Stevenson's spread attack. Last week the Hilltoppers turned the ball over three times and committed 9 penalties. If Glenbard West hopes to win, that can't happen again."

8A: Stevenson at Glenbard West (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/highschool/ct-spt-1121-prep-football-week-13-top-5-games-20141120-story.html#page=1) Mike Helfgot,Chicago Tribune
"The talk: The condition of Duchon Field is always a potential factor, particularly this time of year. A muddy pitch could slow down Stevenson's speedy receivers and mobile QB.
Helfgot's pick: Stevenson 21-17. Glenbard West got the most out of its ability this season, but Stevenson's prevails." Helfgot got that wrong!

Glenbard West-Stevenson game televised on CSN Saturday at 1 p.m. (http://www.csnchicago.com/preps/ihsa-football-playoffs-csn-glenbard-west-stevenson-saturday-1-pm) CSN
"Comcast SportsNet Chicago's IHSA football playoff coverage continues on Saturday as No. 2 Glenbard West hosts No. 1 Stevenson in a Class 8A semifinal showdown at 1 p.m.
CSN Preps contributor EDGY Tim's take on the matchup:
"...Can Stevenson throw the ball against the Glenbard West defense? Can Glenbard West run the ball against the Stevenson defense? Who will benefit from potentially poor weather on Saturday? Check the forecast then make your pick."

ackerman
11-22-2014, 02:55 PM
Who'd figure I"d be giving a live scoring update? After 3 quarters, 3 to 0, GW.

middlein87
11-22-2014, 03:56 PM
Game over. 7 to 3 Stevenson

Cliché
11-22-2014, 05:18 PM
Heartbreaker. Outplayed Stevenson except score. Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda. Thank you for an outstanding season Hitters, you should be disappointed yes, but PROUD!

Stevenson ousts Glenbard West in nick of time (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/highschool/ct-spt-1123-prep-football-8a-stevenson-glenbard-west-20141122-story.html) Chicago Tribune

GE Fan
11-22-2014, 07:25 PM
Most exciting game I've ever seen....but an absolute heartbreaker.

I hate #1 on the other team - like really really hate him. Don't understand why he couldn't commit his 5th personal foul on our last drive.

All kidding aside - well done Hitters. Glad I get to spend my November Saturdays watching this awesome program. Sure as **** beats watching the Illini.

Cliché
11-22-2014, 08:50 PM
Don't know how #1 can try to rip off a helmet three times, get called for it and not get ejected.

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b527/Cliche28/knee_zps56411926.jpg (http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/Cliche28/media/knee_zps56411926.jpg.html)

Sure looked like this live too.
Stevenson gets past last year's hurdle, advances to 8A Finals (http://www.csnchicago.com/preps/stevenson-gets-past-last-years-hurdle-advances-8a-finals) CSN

So close' goes Stevenson's way (http://football.dailyherald.com/article/20141122/sports/141129385/#autoplay) Daily Herald
"The Hilltoppers were understandably heartbroken after the loss, but there was also tremendous pride in the program's fifth semifinal appearance in seven years. 'When you get to the semifinals five times and the state championship, if you don't win you're going to feel bad,' said Glenbard West coach Chad Hetlet. 'That's how we feel right now. But I can't say enough about how the kids played.'"

4MP
11-23-2014, 09:26 AM
And then there was one left representing DuPage County...Montini...again.

We've watched the replay of the 4th quarter of the Hilltoppers game at least three times already. Unbelievable.

A big shout out to the South, St. Frank and West players and coaches for great seasons and some incredible games to watch...wow.

Grateful
11-24-2014, 12:59 PM
Don't know how #1 can try to rip off a helmet three times, get called for it and not get ejected.

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b527/Cliche28/knee_zps56411926.jpg (http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/Cliche28/media/knee_zps56411926.jpg.html)

Sure looked like this live too.
Stevenson gets past last year's hurdle, advances to 8A Finals (http://www.csnchicago.com/preps/stevenson-gets-past-last-years-hurdle-advances-8a-finals) CSN

So close' goes Stevenson's way (http://football.dailyherald.com/article/20141122/sports/141129385/#autoplay) Daily Herald
"The Hilltoppers were understandably heartbroken after the loss, but there was also tremendous pride in the program's fifth semifinal appearance in seven years. 'When you get to the semifinals five times and the state championship, if you don't win you're going to feel bad,' said Glenbard West coach Chad Hetlet. 'That's how we feel right now. But I can't say enough about how the kids played.'"

Calling that a TD gave GBW a chance with 57 Sec. assuming they would have scored from a foot away the next play or two.

Cliché
11-24-2014, 01:29 PM
Calling that a TD gave GBW a chance with 57 Sec. assuming they would have scored from a foot away the next play or two.

Agreed, and I'm not suggesting this was pivotal. But with 6 turnovers in the previous 5 minutes, the outstanding defensive play of both teams (and the 17 penalties), punching it in on the next play wasn't a certainty. And who is to say that facing a 4th down, Stevenson doesn't go kick a field goal for a tie? All moot. Amazing game, credit to them for putting together that drive. Credit to the Hitters for an outstanding season…again.

Cliché
11-25-2014, 04:10 PM
The best football is closer than you think (http://football.dailyherald.com/article/20141124/sports/141129103/) Daily Herald – Mike Imrem

Good article from a bad sportswriter...
"Not surprisingly, the Bears' victory over the Buccaneers wasn't the most entertaining football game of the weekend. Nor was Illinois' dramatic victory over Penn State, Northwestern's rout of Purdue or Notre Dame's gift to Louisville. It wasn't any NFL or college game featuring big names like Aaron Rodgers, Melvin Gordon and Bill Belichick. The most entertaining football game of the weekend was the state Class 8A semifinal that Stevenson won 7-3 over Glenbard West.

Even Hilltoppers fans might have appreciated the action if not the outcome. Most nonpartisan fans probably didn't know the game was on TV until they started flicking around the dial. What a treasure they found: There's something special about knowing the players are just like the kids who live next door, down the block or around the corner."

Clamato
12-05-2014, 05:39 PM
http://football.dailyherald.com/article/20141204/sports/141209310/

The 2014 All Area Football team is riddled with green and white. Congratulations to Coach Hetlet and his players.